10 March 2023

Congo in Africa

As part of Graham's recent weekend extravaganza we had two Congo games on Sunday. In attendance was myself, Jean-Jacques and Luis. Graham acted as the gamester for the game he put on. This was the first 3 player game of Congo I played, and when I think about it, I do not believe I have ever played any 3 player war-games.

As usual Graham set up an excellent terrain. Jean-Jaques played the Zanzibari's, Luis the African Kingdoms and I played the White Man's Expeditions. We each had 80 points. Luis was tasked with protecting a Sacred Area in the middle of the table while myself and Jean-Jacques started from opposite corners. I am not sure how many turns were planned, I believe we played 6 or 7. We had to capture the Sacred Place that was worth a set number of points. we also got points for destroying enemy units. I should also note that half of Luis's force also started off table. It was quite a good scenario.
Here is the 3x3' terrain. I started in the bottom left, while Luis had half his force in the  centre  with the other half coming in from the right of the photo. Jean-Jacques started from the top right corner.
I rapidly advanced my archers and my Askaris to cut off Luis force rushing to aid his units in the Sacred Ground. I had some success and was able to take out one of his units but my Askaris took some damage. The Archers were following up to finish the job.
Quite a battle ensued around the Sacred Ground with the Zanzibari's attacking from the right. Significant casualties were taken on both sides. This was my cunning plan, as I was slowing advancing my other units from the right to take the Sacred Ground once Luis's troops were weakened.
Unfortunately, I had to send my Trained Askaris with the Leader to assist  in the fight with Luis's troops who were rushing to aid their allies in the Sacred Ground. They also took quite a pounding. You can see though that the my 3 Explorers have advanced in cover towards the Sacred Ground.
As each turn progressed Graham added dangerous animals moving about the terrain, here we can see a crocodile and above an elephant. they kept me on my toes.
My Askaris, Explorers as well as my Leader with his Trained Askaris moved into position but the game ended, without them able to make an attack! A Victory to Luis for holding onto the Sacred Ground.

This game was a lot of fun, but I was a little slow in getting off the mark and the game ended before I could mount an attack on the Sacred Ground. Thanks Graham for putting on a great game.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures John, very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it’s a superb fun set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool looking little game, great looking table, figures and wild beasts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congo is such great fun. I will have to bring it up to play soon.

    ReplyDelete