13 July 2022

Fangs of the Wolf-Game 2 (1 session)

 

We had our second game in our Winter War campaign on July 4th, Eero has just put out one of his excellent reports that I will link below.

As you will remember the Finns captured Konttipuro, thus cutting our forces in two. The Motti encirclement had begun. As I previously noted, a lot of the campaign takes place off line, so neither side knows where the enemies movements take place. During these off line manoeuvres both sides are moving about patrols trying to find the enemy forces.

As the Soviet Colonel Sharov, I have to make a decision about what to do each game turn and I decided that we should try to recapture Konttipuro.

Unfortunately, as it was, we had very few forces on the adjacent table with which to attack. I had a looks at the Wild Cards and decided that one might be useful in a stealth mission. We had only 2 infantry sections with no supporting units. It was Stalin's Birthday and because of this we had a booster to our morale. I guessed that the Finns might have left a minimal force on Konttipuro, I ended up being quite wrong. Notwithstanding my plan was to force the Finns to withdraw by loss of Force Morale rather then trying to defeat them by Force of Arms, I also imposed the Wrath of the Gods

We attacked from the north, I was hoping that if I held back our JOP's, it might cause the Finns to place theirs far forward, and that with the Heavy Mist wildcard (limiting LOS to 15") we could easily capture at least 2 of them, thus dropping their FM quickly. As it was the Finns, only placed 1 JOP forward but we went with our plan anyway. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Well what do they say about Best Laid Plans; as you can see they seldom work from Eero's excellent report. Here are a few photos but many more can be seen in the report.
Well that did not go so well and Colonel Sharov's Outlook is falling rapidly, wish us luck in the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment