09 July 2022

Devil in the Wilderness at L'abyss

 

I got in a second game of Devil in the Wilderness last night in Montreal at the L'Abyss. This is really an impressive gaming spot with a large shop with an amazing selection of gaming supplies and materials. I have never seen a larger selection of paints. The place is on 2 floors with the main floor have the shop and maybe a 30 table board gaming area, there is also a bar and you can order drinks and food right to your table while you are playing. Downstairs there is about 20 tables set up for miniature wargaming. There is also a very large selection of terrain boards and terrain pieces. Again you can order food and drink directly to your table. 

Despite the massive telecommunications failure yesterday in Canada (Rogers), I was able to get together with my friend Luis and we made it to the east end for a game. I was really looking forward to playing Devil in the Wilderness again as I have been having a tough time teeing up games in Massachusetts. I have invested quite a bit of effort in the game so would like to play. I lugged all my stuff up to Montreal. I am trying to decide whether to leave it here or not as I have not been able to set up one game in the Salem area, which is a little odd, since the game is set in 17th century Salem!

Although, Luis is a very experienced gamer I decided to go with a pretty simple set up with the objective being to discover traps/treasures and with this and the taking out of the 6 main characters would decide whether good triumphs over evil. I find the Witch Hunters are a little more powerful then the Witches, so I took the Witches and Luis the Witch Hunters.

Here are some photos from the game, they are just some general shots and not really meant to chronicle an action report.

Probably could use a bit more terrain on the table but it worked.
I use 3D printed discs for the trap/treasure tokens.
I also tag each building as I will quickly forget which is which.
Nothing like a wandering Werewolf

Luis was able to use his diplomatic skills to force my Milice to the side of good and attack me. I use different coloured discs to identify each figure, and record their colour on the figure tracking cards.

The game went very smoothly and I was only unsure about 1 or 2 things which is pretty good as I had not played for 6 months. We got in a complete game in about 2.5 to 3 hours with the Witches reigning supreme after taking out Increase Mather and John Alden but the game did go back and forth quite a bit. Both Rev Burroughs and Pukjinkwes, were both down to a single point. I got the initiative in the last turn and was able to turn the Witch Hunter's militia to the dark side and with 11 activations was able to win the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment