09 March 2022

Vietnam-Viet Cong

I have been wanting for some time to do some 28mm modern warriors. I am quite happy with 20mm in WWII but I do look at some of the fantastic WWII figures that are out there. Having been a teenager during the Vietnam War, it is the fist war I remember watching on TV and have always enjoyed watching post-hoc documentaries on the conflict. Certainly one thing it cemented in my world view that you are never going to win a nationalistic war fought 1000's of miles from your country. 

I am still having a lot of difficulty making a decision on what ruleset I would like to use to game the Vietnam War. I have limited myself because I have decided to go with 28mm figures and a 6x4' table with no higher than platoon based and maybe squad sized actions. I recently bought the BOHICA ruleset, looks interesting but certainly a different mechanic to which I am accustomed. There is a CoC variant for platoon sized games called DMZ and I have been also looking at the Ambush Alley Vietnam variation. So there is some choice.

There appears to be 4-5 manufacturers of 28mm metal Vietnam figures, with Gringo 40's and Empress Miniatures being the leading contenders. I am not that super excited by hard plastic figures but Rubicon recently came out with 2 boxes of figures which are certainly much cheaper than the metals and since this was a trial project I felt this would be a more appropriate starting point for me so I bought their VC and USMC boxes.

Once I opened the boxes I was really quite impressed, over 30 figures in each box with multiple variations with pose and weapons as well excellent instructions. They were pretty easy to put together, maybe a little less then 2 hours for the 10 figures below. I had no problem using Tamiya plastic cement despite be supposed to be using Tamiya ABS cement. The figures were sprayed white and then painted using Citadel Contrast paints with acrylic highlights. They were a pleasure to paint and below you can find my first VC squad. They are equipped with rifles, assault rifles and 2 different types of SMG's. There is also a squad leader with a pistol and I can also make a radio operator figure as well as RPG equipped possibility. As you can see there are both male and female fighters.

Next up will be the USMC.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work on the Viet Cong figures John, its a interesting period to game.
    cheers John

    ReplyDelete