20 April 2023

Congo-The Rescue of Dick Longspike

 

Four of us got together at the Abyss this past Sunday for a couple of skirmish games. First up was a game of Congo put on by Graham. This was a 3 player game that Graham put together himself. I played the African Kingdoms column which was the first time they had seen the table. Luis played the Forest Tribes, while Christian played the Zanzibaris. 

It was quite a good scenario, an European Explorer has been lost and then found by the African Kingdoms. Dick Longspike apparently found some maps to a lost treasure, so the rescuers were being pursued by both the Zanzibaris and the forest tribes. 

Initial setup, half my column was placed about 18" from the far edge of the table with the lost explorer. The other half was in the village. The Forest tribes were started in the upper left of the table while the Zanzibaris started in the upper right. I attached the explorer to the Fanatical Warriors.
Fanatical Warriors

I was quite excited about my column which contained a Witch Doctor. I did not realise that the Forest Tribes had one as well, although interestingly enough they had access to different spells. The scenario design gave me the first move and the initiative. I started to move the Fanatics toward the village. I had my Askaris and Bowmen covering their retreat. I advanced my Young Warriors towards the Zanzibaris in order to slow their advance, knowing that they would probably end up as cannon fodder. The other two columns advanced and before we went to the next turn, I decided to cast a spell on the Forest Tribe's leader with the hope to taking him out early. I went with a two dice throw, drawing one token from the stress bag.......and can you believe it I drew a red hand and a blast of lightening came from the heavens and blasted him to smithereens.

Well so much for the Witch Doctor. Anyway the game went on as demonstrated by the following photos.

The Zanzibaris in the foreground going after my Fanatical Warriors
The red markers reveal the number of the dead
The Zanzibari advance
Luis sneaking his Forest Tribes across the stream to attack the village
I left the King and a couple of units in the village, the Married Warriors and the Warriors. They did eventually leave to take on the advancing Forest Tribes. 
The Zanzibaris wiped out my Bowmen, Scouts as well as the Fanatical Warriors.
Forest Tribes
Dick Longspike safely in the Village.

It was really a fun game, I think we got in 6 turns before it was called. I was given a marginal victory as I got the explorer to the village but it was quite expensive as I had 3 units wiped out, while my adversaries were pretty intact. So a Pyrrhic victory to be sure. This was a great scenario and I am hoping that Graham will publish it as it gave a very good three player game. You will also note that the terrain as usual was quite impressive.

2 comments:

  1. John, you did well to get "Dick" safely back to the village and I will put the scenario together as a PDF on the Congo FB soon.
    Cheers,
    Graham W

    ReplyDelete