09 February 2023

Pulp Alley China Station-The House of Lau


This Monday, we had our third game in our China Station campaign. We had one a game each so far, so this was an important game, it was also our real first chance to dice to build up our investigation points so we can discover what is Code 3-2-7. I am not sure if I pointed this out earlier but the campaign is in two phases: The Investigation and The Hunt. To get to The Hunt, you need to accumulate 5 Investigation Points.

As usual PY had set up an excellent table, each gets better than the last. 
The scenario was a bit odd, as there was no shooting or brawling, only really opposed rolls using your Might, Finesse or Cunning dice. Draws did not count and if a character lost they had to roll a simple health check and if failing they took a marker. I am using my Baker Street League in this campaign led by Sherlock Holmes. The rules allow you to recruit different minor characters to your league but you have to keep the same Leader and you can not change the Leader's abilities. I am also presuming once you develop any character you can not change their abilities, so I had to proceed with some caution. As previously mentioned, I am using figure from Westwind's Empire of the Dead line. 

Holmes decided to leave the bumbling Watson home for this scenario and recruit his brother Mycroft. You will also see that he decided to bring the bosses in from the Hell Division rather than the Bobbies. I am sure some of you will recognise the fictional basis for the new characters.

PY kept with his same characters, I suppose he could change to his Sidekicks, but when I look at them they look quite flexible for most types of scenarios.


Here are some photos from the game, I will annotate with what details I remember. 
I believe this is around turn 2-3, PY was almost immediately turn DI  Reid to the Cultists, so that was one of my characters immediately lost. DS Drake went to try to convince Reid to re-join the good guys. As you can see in the fairground, two of the cultists almost immediately encountered two of the minor plot points in order to capture them. Captain Jackson also headed that way, Dr Koo has yet to make an appearance (he shows up on turn 4). In the right middle you can see Holmes heading east to encounter Dr Zhikov who is trying to get a minor plot point.

Turn 5. It looks like Dr Zirkov has been knocked down to the east by Mycroft Holmes. Captain Jackson is now challenging one of the cultists over one of the minor plot points. But most importantly, we can see that Sherlock Holmes has encountered Dr Koo, thus gaining the Major Plot Point, the Baker Street league just has to survive one my turn too win the game.

Turn 6-7. Difficult to see but Holmes has made it past the turncoat DI Reid to the SW corner of the terrain thus winning the game. 

It was a nice victory for me, but I did put some prep time into this scenario before we started. If I remember correctly our dicing was about equal, PY captured 3 minor Plot Points, while I only got one. I was able to get the Major Plot Point which gave me the victory. I think I was a little luckier than PY in drawing the scenario cards when capturing plot points. I have to say it was a little aggravating that the Fortune cards were of little value in this game, but so it goes.

We each got 3 League Rewards in this game. We both roll 3 of our rewards, needing a 4+ to get an investigation point, we get one each. 


Baker Street
6+ Reputation
League rewards: +6 (-3)=3
Investigation Points= 1

Followers of the Eye
3+ Reputation
League Rewards: 3+ (-3)=0
Investigation Points=1
 

No comments:

Post a Comment