15 September 2022

Combat at Osma-Vitoria

  

Battle of Osma

Tuesday evening myself and P-Y got together for our first in person game of GdA at my place. We had played a game the week before virtually so I thought another go would be good to solidify the rules. I decided to play the first scenario from the 1813 source book for GdA, Vitoria. 
I had most of the appropriate troops so very few substitutions were necessary. We played all the rules in the book aside from fielding skirmishers, we will be ready for the best part of the ruleset in our next game. 
I played the French this time and P-Y played the Anglo-Portuguese. I had 2 brigades with one in reserve and P-Y had 4 brigades with 1 in reserve. I added an ADC to each side as having just 3 and 5 ADC's is not a lot of fun. When applying the ADC's to each brigade, we allowed a dummy ADC to make it a bit of fun!

I will not put down the actual scenario as the pdf is cheap enough and if interested you should buy it. But essentially the French had 2 brigades and on table reserve which could not be released until one of the brigades had been lost. The Brits had 4 brigades and an off table brigade that could come on in turn 5 for free. The game was only 10 turns and the Brits had to force 2 French brigades to retire. 
The table at the end of the game, the Brits were attacking from the right.

As usually I will not do a full report but I do have some photos. It was a very entertaining game which went 10 turns. We had several charges and 3 Infantry Melees! The French lost twice as many battalions than the Brits but did not secure a complete victory, so a marginal victory was given to the Brits....P-Y's 2nd victory in less than a week.......
The Allied left flank early in the game, PY rolled multiple 10, 11,12 on his artillery dice with Artillery Assault, causing my 2 veteran Légère batallions to disperse.
Those damned RHA
Caçadores
The French left flank early advance with the Légère in AC.
The allied left flank advance midway through the game.
The withdrawing 1st French Brigade on my right flank

My 2nd French brigade was much more successful on my left flank, causing the Portuguese brigade to disperse off the table. The same brigade then charges a 2nd Allied brigade with some success. 

View from Allied left flank late in the game, they have driven off a French brigade and the French reservists are scrambling to join the fight.
French left flank late in the battle
My reservists breaking out in line, they arrived too late to effect the battle.

The French CoC joins the battle in turn 10 declaring a COMMAND-allows removal of 2 casualties  from each unit in the brigade, first charge even though not holding the initiative and Glory in any Melee, costs 3 ADCs. French left flank.

The French CoC surveying the field

I have another GdA game this Saturday at the Abyss, looking forward to it. This Friday I will have my 2nd game of Pulp Alley. Have to put together my League today.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely game a table you have there. I've been using this scenario as a learning game as well (playing solo and Tabletop Simulator). I've played twice so far, with two French victories, though the British got close the second game.

    ReplyDelete