16 April 2022

Sharpe Returns-SP2

As I have discussed in the past, Sharpe is the reason I got into wargaming. The hero in the Bernard Cornwell novels and the subsequent TV series, galvanised me to start wargaming. I remember looking at my son's collection of 28mm LOTR figures and saying maybe I would like to do that, but I was not really into fantasy. Twenty years ago, I was enjoying the Sharpe series of novels and the shows staring Sean Bean and I said why not. An off I went. I subsequently painted over three thousand 28mm Napoleonic figures but then decided they were not going to work for tactical wargaming so I sold them all and with the proceeds bought 4000 painted 18 mm figures! At the time I was dabbling with Sharpe Practice so I held back around 100 figures. I do not think they ever saw the table as by now I was heavily into other historical eras. I had played a few games but there was something about some of the mechanisms in SP2, that confused me, especially in respect to Napoleonic wargaming. At the same time, I discovered Muskets and & Tomahawks ( I love SAGA) and used this rule set for 18th century skirmish wargaming mostly though for the French Indian War. A recent blog article by the Tactical Painter made me reconsider this and a couple of days ago when I was searching about for something to play with my friend Pierre-Yves, I suggested why not try SP2. I knew he was building forces for Infamy Infamy, so this would be a nice sequa as they are quite similar. I pulled out my figures, dusted them off, and found my 28mm Spanish terrain that I have never used and set up a game. I watched a couple of videos, I found the On Table Top introduction video pretty helpful and at 1930h were were set up on Discord and ready to play.

FORCES

British-FM 9

Lt Sharpe LIII
Sgt Harper LII (chosen man)
Sgt Hakeswill LI (filth)

2 units of South Essex (line)-16 men
1 unit of 95th Rifles (lights)-8 men
1 unit of the 60th Rifles (lights)-8 men
1 unit of 95th Rifles (skirmish light infantry)-6 men

French-FM 11

Major Ducos LIII
Major Dubronet LII
Sgt Bouef LI

5é legére (skirmishers)-6 men
33é ligne (conscripts)-8 men
2 units of 24é voltiguers (line)-16 men
2 units of the 4é Dragoons (grenadier)-16 men


THE ACTION

We decided to play scenario 2, I did place 3 markers as instructed in the scenario in each of the buildings as well as placing 3 civilians. But once the game started I had no idea how to work this so we skipped it as well as not adding any supports. This was P-Y's first game and my first in a very long time so best to keep it simple.

We played for about 2 hours and did get in quite a few turns. I will post some photos with some narration but we finished up before there was a meaningful conclusion but P-Y was ahead on FM, but  believe I had killed a couple of more men. A lot of shock on both sides as you will see from the photos.
Sharpe with Obadiah.
I brought the South Essex on with Obadiah, with the 95th Rifles with Sharpe south of the road, it was important to keep Obadiah on a short leash! Harper lead the formed 95th and the 60th Rifles down the road. As you can see they got a bit of a pasting.

A Portuguese priest

The South Essex were able to cross to hedge rows without a lot of difficulty and gave the 33é line conscripts a bit of a pasting but P-Y was able to bring the 4é Dragoon Grenadiers (you are allowed to substitute when you only have 100 figures) in line under Major Ducos. As you can see quite a fire fight erupted.

Back to the road, this was a bit of a mistake as the 24é voltiguers were able to give it to Harper and his men.

overview

Some sabot work still to do.

A Fish Wife

Sgt Harper

A dangerous Portuguese lad with a knife, Sharpe knew better then to confront him.

We both quite enjoyed the game, we had a few questions which I believe we have clarified. I am still not sure about the Present-Controlled Volley-Uncontrolled Volley sequence but I suspect I will be able to work it out. I suspect we will have another game next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment