16 January 2021

UBOOT

Last week, I played my first board game.....virtually. Through my recent association with the GeMiGaBoK wargaming club in Helsinki, Finland, I have started to meet multiple new war-gamers from all over Finland. One of them, Heikki, asked me if I would be interested in joining them in the above cooperative board game. 

UBOOT, I believe, has been around for 2-3 years now and Heikki has taken the game online so it can be played virtually. This was quite a task as there are many different elements to the game. 

It is very convenient for me to play in this club as my gaming time is limited to the day aside from one evening a week, which has been taken by my ongoing gaming collaboration with Pierre-Yves in Montreal. I usually am off 3 days each weekday so this has really worked out for me.

Anyway, you can look at the UBOOT website, there is a lot of information about the game so no need to repeat it here. I joined as the navigator, I have 4 crew under my command and I have to say it was quite an immersive experience that I really enjoyed. We are on a mission to explore the Scapa Flow Naval Base, north of Scotland, under orders of the Abwehr as documented below.

I have joined the crew on their Patrol #9, they received the above orders on Patrol #7, so I have not missed too much. My job is to plot our course to the Naval Base, and it has been quite a lot of fun.


We have reached the above position marked by the Blue Dot, I believe the captain is going to order us to sail between Iceland and the Faroe Islands and then approach our target (Blue Circle) from the Northwest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment