We played the 5th game in our Storming the Citadel campaign several days ago at the Abyss. This was on table 6 as Graham (Soviets) had made a decision to withdraw from table 5 without defending it. This allowed him to get a new platoon and consolidate his forces. This gave him an extra section automatically as well as his supports. I decided to bring on my second platoon as well. The scenario was Attack on an Objective and was played as laid out in version 2 of the Chain of Command ruleset with the only limitation being the supports as laid out in the campaign.
Forces
Germans (FM 10)
1942 Panzergrenadier Platoon (no. 2)
Supports 12
PGB
SdKfz 251
SL
PZII
Kublewagon
SdKfz 251
SL
PZII
Kublewagon
Soviets (FM 8)
1942 Soviet Rifle Platoon (no.2) with extra infantry section
Supports 9
Marsh
DSHK HMG Tm
Flame Thrower Tm
ATR
DSHK HMG Tm
Flame Thrower Tm
ATR
Game
I believe I might have been a little aggressive in this game when I deployed. I had 3 mobile units with the plan to advance them rapidly and capture the JOP behind the hill. I was able to do this with a team in the Kubelwagon (this should have just been a scout team). The PzII and the 251 both also deployed early to lay down fire. I placed all my squads also down into the 2 areas of rough ground. Graham was cautious in deploying his sections, I should have waited and I am not sure in retrospect if my approach should have been on my left flank. Notwithstanding the Soviets deployed a section which quickly destroyed the LMG team in the Kubelwagon. At this point my FM was better then the Soviets and I had lost about the same amount of men but my initial plan had failed. I felt it best to withdraw ceding victory to the Soviets. I had reach table 6 in 5 turns and I felt I had time to reassess my plan of attack.

A nice-looking table and sorry for my bias - but good to see the Red Army hold off the Fascist Invaders!
ReplyDelete