27 July 2024

SagaNight

One of the members of our Wargaming Club, David K, set up and independent games night featuring the ruleset SAGA. This has been quite successful, attracting 8-10 players for each evening. This was the second event but the first one I could attend. I believe he is trying to schedule the games night once per month.

I believe there were 10 players initially signed up for this game which was scheduled a week ago. Eight showed up, so 4 games were played. David had decided that the Age of Vikings would be features for this games night. 

I decided to bring my Anglo-Saxon warband, they have been unsuccessful in the past but I decided to reconfigure them and give them another try. All Warbands were 6 points and this is what I went with:

Anglo-Saxons

Alfred
3 units of Warriors
2 units of Bow-Armed Levy

Facing of against me were David C's Warband:

Vikings

Warlord
Berserskers
4 units of Hearthguard
Warriors

Quite a mis-matched force as you can see, I went with 2 units of 12 Warriors and 2 units of 12 Levy. David went with a unit of Berserkers, 2 units of Hearthguard and 2 units of Warriors.

We played the Chaos method which generated a very interesting game as follows:

March Column
Cautious
Fog
Target
Rough Ground

I was a bit put off with the Fog, this imposed a M distance on shooting for the first 3 turns and the game was only 5 turns, and here I had selected a shooting force!



The approaching Vikings, Hearthguard one and all
Another unit of Hearthguard, with some Berserkers in the background. My Levy bowmen wait until they get in M, damn fog!

Warriors close shields
The Warriors have moped up the Hearthguard and the Berserkers, and my Levy advance to my left flank......
......to support my Warriors against the advancing Hearthguard and Warriors.
A lot of casualties were taken by both sides and it looks like the Vikings have been able to turn the tide. But the Viking Warlord is exposed and my bowmen have climbed the hill are now in range.
A few missed photo but the Levy Bowmen put 3 fatigues on the Viking Warlord and charged down the hill for the kill. Game over!


This was a great game. I thought I had it in the bag after 2 turns as I had taken out 2 units of Hearthguards, but David fought back and in the 4th and 5th turns it was obvious that the game could have gone any way. Well my Anglo-Saxons finally won, I will give this organisation another go.


No comments:

Post a Comment