17 August 2024

V for Victory

I had my biweekly visit to PY's a week ago Monday for another game of V for Victory from Studio Tomahawk. We enlarged the game this time and added more teams as well an AFV each. We both had 2 core squads as well as 3 teams and a tank each. We played the second scenario from the book. This time I took the Germans and PY played the Airborne.
Great table as usual, it was probably a mistake to make the hedges bocage as that really slowed the action down as there was no line of sight on the table and even on the hedge unless you had previously fired you could not be seen.
I really screwed things up at the beginning as the walled compound was a poor place to enter as the high wall prevented as LOS and one could not fire from them. I was eventually able to get in one of the houses on the 2nd floor and was able to fire on the Airborne troops on the road which was quite advantageous.
My dilemma can be seen above, the troops within the compound were well protected but had no offensive capability.
Fiannly got them all out and turned the left flank into a killing ground, taking out a section of Brits as well as knocking out the Stuart.

It was an interesting game as here was hardily any combat interactions until more than half way through the game. PY decided to open it up by advancing down the central North/South road. There was a lot of back and forth before that we had both advanced our tanks to the central crossroads but neither of us could get a good shot off so we both moved to west on the table. Once the action started casualties were absorbed on both sides, I was able to kill more Brits and take out the British Stuart with my Hetzer, but PY had captured more of the points than I had. We added an extra turn to the game but it was now quite late so we called it a day. The points were tallied up...8 to 8 a tie.

The game is fun, but it is a game and I am not sure if using historical tactics really helps you with this ruleset. But the game is easy enough to pick, again I do not think I would invest heavily in it but would be always happy to play a game.

Well that is it for gaming for me until at least the middle of September, as it is holiday time. We have our yearly trip to Ogunquit this coming week and in the first 2 weeks of September, we are finally getting to see my daughter in London and then travelling on to Malta, a trip we planned more then 3 years ago but which got screwed up because of the Covid. Myself and my wife have a lot of trips to catch up on as we still have to go to Sicily and Bavaria, 2 other trips that were extensively planned over the last 3 years but had to be put off for various reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment