A couple of weeks 4 of us got together are the Abyss for a game of Sharp Practice. This was my turn to host. I had only arrived in Montreal late the night before so I did not have much time to put things together. This was made complicated by the fact that I was a bit unclear on what figures I had. I also had little time to put a terrain together. But I go things together that morning and fortunately Graham offered to pick me up.
Myself and William took the English while Rob and Graham took the Canadiens. We decided to play the first scenario in the book which is a simple attack on each on each with the goal of mutual destruction.
Thanks to Rob for some nice photos. I thought the game went pretty well, I am not sure if we did the forest los, movement and cover correctly. I just have not had a chance to check. But overall I was happy how the game went, it was quite bloody and there was lots of shooting, tactical movement and combat. If I remember correctly the British won the game.
An aside:
We played another FIW game on Sunday with 4 of the board members of our club, basically the same terrain and same troops (but with a different organisation) using the Muskets and Tomahawks rules.
I forgot to take any photos and this time myself and Graham took the Brits while Iannick and Luis took the French. The game are differently mechanistically for sure but I enjoyed both of them. I think the organisation is a little more straight forward with SP but M&T has a lot of flexibility in organisation but a slightly more novel mechanic. Both are card activated but the card playe
d can be chosen to a certain extent in M&T. SP does cover more periods and might be a little more narrative in a sense....if you want to be Flashman in the First Afghan War or Sharp in in the sack of Badajoz, SP is your game. But this does not diminish the command nuances of M&T. And I see that Studio Tomahawk has just released an ACW supplement Kepis and Bayonets.
No comments:
Post a Comment