22 July 2024

Charleroi!


Last Sunday I had another game of GdA from the Hundred Years sourcebook. I had the game at my place with Helge, another member of our wargaming club, with whom I had yet to meet. He had not played GdA before but he has quite an impressive 28mm Napoleonic collection, probably one of the biggest collections I have seen (https://www.youtube.com/@WargamingWorkshop)

Helge had not played GdA before but I have to say that he was well prepared having gone through the rules very carefully before the game. 
I played the French coming from the left and Helge played the Prussians coming from the right. This was a smallish battle with just 4-5 brigades per side.
The French advance on the village of Gilly, there was one central BUA with a bridge enclosed within the village. The river could only be crossed by artillery and cavalry at this bridge and a ford to the right. There was a swamp to the left of the village which prevented infantry from crossing the river. Helge had set up his Prussians well making it a bit of a challenge.
As usual, I took very few photos and all the following photos are post game snaps.
Some ammunition caissons, I painted.
I did get some of my troops across the table, but not this battalion.
I was successful in getting my cavalry across the rivers and was able to take out the Prussian cavalry, I almost flanked the Prussian infantry but we hit 10 turns (the maximum allowed by the scenario).
I was unable to drive the Prussians out of Gilly, despite multiple attempts.
I did get one battalion across the river.
Well it was a great game, we did spend a lot of time in the rulebook. We again had problems with the BUA rules and screwed up some of the melees, especially with the cavalry. I also discovered that I need to do a bit more work on the movement rules, with which I am a little sloppy.

It was a fun game though and I was quite happy to introduce a new player to the ruleset, expanding our core Napoleonic group to 10 players. Helge has a real eye for detail and will be a great addition.

I should note that Helge did win the game as I failed on the Victory conditions of taking the village or causing the stipulated damage on his troops. Well played!

No comments:

Post a Comment