17 April 2022

Normandy Campaign- Hermanville-sur-Mere Redux.

Myself and Jur got together this past Thursday for our next game in his Normandy campaign. I again was the German defender in Hermanville-sur-Mer as I had forced the British to withdraw in our last game. Mikko, a friend in Finland joined in as an observer. I have quite a few members on my Discord Server and  anyone is free to join in if they see game is ongoing. Jur brought in a fresh platoon as he has 2 platoons in each company. I used the same platoon but it was only missing 2 men so it was a pretty equal battle.

Forces

British 3rd Infantry Division/ Company A-Platoon 2

FM 11

Standard British Rifle Platoon

Supports-5

Extra Rifle Squad

German 10.Kp.IR.736 (zug #1)

FM 9

Standard German Grenadier Platoon (less 2 men)

Supports-2

Adjutant

Barbed Wire

Free Minefield

The Game

We played this one as Flank Attack, against the rules in ATSE, but added some variation to a repeat game.

I felt that Jur again got the better of me in the patrol phase, he had 4 free moves and by the time of the actual Patrol Phase he already had 2 of my PM's locked down. 

Jur deploys his yellow squad opposite the church, I try to hold off to a double phase
Jur adds his blue squad as well as an SL and the 2" mortar
The double 6 shows up so I deploy by my green squad to fire at the Brit yellow squad , I also deploy my blue squad in the house on the other side of the cross roads so the Brit yellow squad gets a bit of a pasting, but as you can see my green squad has had some losses.
The Brit yellow squad breaks after losing it's Bren team, the British FM is now 8.

I move my green squad off the wall and them around the church to be able to defend against the British blue squad. As you can see my yellow squad is suffering significant attrition as Jur has deployed his support squad in place of his routed yellow squad. Now we are both at a FM of 8.
By now we have both suffered significant loss, the British have 2 platoons to attack Hermanville-sur-Mer and I only have one to defend, I see that the writing is on the wall and withdraw. Hermanville fall to the British.


Butcher's Bill

British Platoon #A2 (3rd ID)

FM 8

4 dead 2 missing

CO +2

MO +1

HQ Outlook Secure


German Platoon 10.Kp.IR.736 (zug #1)

FM 8

5 dead 3 missing (7 dead now in platoon)

CO -1

MO -3

HQ Outlook Happy


Tactical Decisions


10.Kp.IR.736 (zug #1) to withdraw to Périer-sur le-Dans


5.Kp.IR.736 (zug #2) to hold Sainte Auban-sur-Mer


12.Kp.IR.736 (zug #3) to stay in Douvres-la-Délivrande 

1 comment: