21 April 2022

Hougoumont Resupplied- Sharp Practice

Last night myself and P-Y had another game of Sharpe Practice over Discord. This time I took a scenario directly from the 2020 Lard Magazine. I was directed there to get some stats for the Hundred Days (these are not included in the rulebook) and found 3 excellent looking scenarios there. I should also say that the stats for this period were absolutely comprehensive. 

This scenario sees a small British force with an ammunition wagon trying to get to Hougoumont farm to resupply the beleaguered garrison troops. They are supported by 3 units of Hanoverian Jaegers with rifles but who did not arrive until the 2nd Tiffin card comes up. Trying to prevent British from arriving at the farm are 4 units of French conscript ligné as 2 units of regular voltiguers. All the skirmishers on both sides are classified as Light Infantry.

FORCES

British-FM 11

Cpl Graham Level I (deploys in Hougoumont)
2 units of Guard ( (skirmish light infantry)-12 men

Sgt Fraser Level II (deploys with ammunition wagon)
1 unit of Guard ( (skirmish light infantry)-6 men

Capt von Reden Level II
Sgt Lindau Level I
Musician
3 units Hanoverian Jagers (skirmish light infantry)-18 men

French-FM 9
 S Lt Le Petit Level II
2 units of voltiguers (skirmish light infantry)-12 men

Capt  Dernier Level II
Sgt Popotin Level I
4 units of fusliers (conscripts)-32 men


THE ACTION
Sorry for the bright colour, I did not have time to finish off the mat, still have to dry brush  it. The Hougoumont model is unfortunately a 15mm version but as it is a beautiful model I put it down anyway.


So we started the game with all units off table. P-Y got the Brits on a little quicker than the French arrival with Sgt Fraser arriving first. I did get my voltiguers on fairly quickly and they were able to get some early ineffective shots off at the wagon party. Cpl Fraser's 2 units also arrived quickly followed my Sgt Linda who came on with a single unit of Hanoverians. Next came on von Reden and finally I got my fusiliers on. I bought the ligne on as a 4 group unit which in respect was probably a mistake as they were hard to manoeuvre. I was worried about bringing on a formation with a Level I leader.

Anyway on to some photos.
Cpl Graham with 2 units of light infantry
Sgt Fraser with the ammunition wagon, you can see Sgt Lindau with a unit of Hanoverian light infantry (I do see that they are actually Brunswicker's)
The French trying to get out of their deployment, unfortunately 3 flags ended up in a pall of smoke.
overview
The voltiguers approach
It is all about the dice now, as the ammo has arrived and von Reden is giving support.
I then had the most amazing bad luck with the dice, I try to bring my voltiguers in as a screen so I can get my fusiliers close enough to unload on the Brits. All my save hits are 6's and the only time I roll 1's is if I am checking to see if one of my leaders is hit. Before I know it both Sous Lt Le Petit and Capt Dernier are down. The voltiquers fall back.
No further words needed as you can see, my line falls apart my FM is 2, game over.

Although it was one sided game with me being on the losing side, I am appreciating that SP2 is a fun ruleset once you figure out how it works. We will play this scenario again next week but switch sides. I will use some different dice!

No comments:

Post a Comment