22 March 2022

Normandy Campaign- Hermanville-sur-Mer

 


We played our next game in the Normandy campaign yesterday, in game 1 the Germans had failed to defend Lion-sur-Mer and had retreated to Hermanville-sur-Mer. The British platoon (A/1) decided to follow up their victory by pursuing the German platoon (10.Kp.IR.736) into the town. In this case they were trying to capture the main crossroads where the Marie and Eglise Sainte Pierre were situated. Rather than going up the main route through Hermanville-sur-Mer, they were commanded to advance on their right flank through some bocage lined fields. We set the game up as an "Attack on an Objective"

The British approach from the left of the photo with the crossroads to the right being the objective. 


Forces

British 3rd Infantry Division/ Company A-Platoon 1

FM 10
Supports 10
Standard British Rifle Platoon (less 4 men)

Supports

Sherman

German 10.Kp.IR.736 (zug #1)

FM 9
Supports 5
Standard German Grenadier Platoon (less 5 men)

Supports
Adjutant
MMG team



The Game

I felt that Jur got the better of me in the patrol phase, getting his 3 JOP's fairly far up the table. I would have liked to get a JOP on my left flank but one was unable to place one there. I decided not to take my 4th JOP at the crossroads as the area was already well covered.

Jur placed his yellow squad behind the bocage on his right flank with the 2" mortar team and a SL. He also placed his green squad in the woods on his left flank.
As the Brits had excellent LOS, they were able to lay down lots of smoke to cover their right flank, difficult to see in the photo but I had presumed that the main brunt of the attack was going to be through the forest on my right flank so I placed the MMG team, as well as my yellow squad with an SL to cover the woods.
I was surprised to find that the British attack was clearly going to be on my left flank as Jur had placed his blue squad on his right and advanced his yellow squad up the open field under the cover of the smoke.
I moved my yellow squad to my left with 4th MMG team to cover  this attack but unfortunately the Brits were able to deny my centre JOP to me. The Germans were in a bit of trouble now but since the British squad was now on the stone wall, they were in LOS and I was able to bring to fire a squad and MMG team to fire on them at close range and although they were in hard cover and the Germans were in light cover, it was a losing battle for the Brits. Jur brought up his blue infantry squad in support. I also deployed my blue squad to the table and started to send them around the church to buttress my left flank. The tide was now turning, I had 2 CoC dice.
The pounding from my MMG team and my yellow squad took out the the British yellow squad and they broke. By now I had my blue squad within charge range of the British blue squad. Just before they were about to charge Jur played a CoC dice and moved back out of charge range......
.......back to the Germans, I placed my yet underplayed green squad behind the wall from the now released JOP and then played a CoC die to end the turn. All the smoke lifted, by now it was too late for the British and I was able to wipe out the blue squad with my newly deployed infantry. The British FM was 3. Time to withdraw.
Unfortunately the Sherman was deployed a little to late to support the advance.





Butcher's Bill

This was a very bloody game, and the Brits paid dearly. They lost 14 figures and a 2 JL's. The 5 figures lost by the Germans were not counted as there was a 6 point difference in FM at the end of the game. I should note that this is quite a complex campaign and the British companies have at least 2 platoons each. We will track each platoon individually in respect to CO and MO but the Platoon Commanders out look will be the over all Battalion HQ Out look. 

British Platoon #A1 (3rd ID)

FM 3
7 dead 4 missing (total dead now 9 with 4 missing the next time they are in action)
2 JL reduced to 1 CI for next game.

CO +1
MO -5

HQ Outlook Happy



German Platoon 10.Kp.IR.736 (zug #1)

FM 9
no loses (2 men ded in the platoon for next game)

CO +1
MO 0

HQ Outlook Affable


Tactical Decisions

10.Kp.IR.736 (zug #1) to hold Hermanville-sur-Mer

5.Kp.IR.736 (zug #2) to hold Sainte Auban-sur-Mer

12.Kp.IR.736 (zug #3) to stay in Douvres-la-Délivrande

2 comments:

  1. Tanks always come too early or too late to save the day! Guten arbeit, will do our best to keep west Gold too busy to link with Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guten arbeit, we’ll keep them too busy on Gold to link with Americans. Good breeze lifted all that mortar smoke in time!

    ReplyDelete