13 February 2020

Train Tracks: AHPCX #6

I need some train tracks for several Chain of Command games that are coming up and it has been something missing from my collection for awhile. I could have gone with 3D prints, as I have several STL files which look quite nice but it does take a lot of time to print something like this.

I was going to buy some real HO track but found some very cheap plastic tracks on Amazon and I got some rail bed from a Train Terrain company. The whole thing was less then $30 and I probably have another 8-12' of track materials still left but what I needed was a something to cross a 6' terrain table.




 

 
It was a bit more work than I thought it might be. The track was a little too wide for the bed but I plan to improve that when it is set up with clumping foliage. I used PVA to glue the track to the bed which is some sort of foam and then sprinkled the ballast on the wet bed, it was not really the best method but with some repairs I moved on. Once dry, I airbrushed the whole thing with black, followed by a green brown followed by a light brown. I then drybrushed the whole thing with a light sand colour. I then washed the rails with black followed by a drybrush of a dark metal. I then used a brown ink from Scale Colour to paint the wood, which really worked quite well. I finished off the tracks with a rust wash.

6 comments:

  1. Nice, I purchased peco HO flexible track with in built ballast, it works really well

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got tracks myself John, but that sounds like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great paint job, you've given me some inspiration. I bought the cheapest HO track I could find (and it was very reasonably priced), but I need to spend a bit more time aging and weathering, it's looking a little too pristine. I really like what you've done with those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I will look forward to seeing how yours works out.

      Delete