02 May 2024

3D Printed Norwegians

As I was not 100% with the EWM for my Norwegians, I had a search around and there seemed to be a nice set on Cults3D, these are free but the designer has several other sculpts that are for the Narvik campaign, this includes some German sailors and I believe some French. What is nice about these figures is that they are scaled originally at 1/72 which is a little unusual for 3D STL's. Most are 28mm with a few 15mm. These were a little taller than the EWM and maybe a lot of my other 20mm miniatures (1/72 is I believe a little bigger than 20mm), and certainly thinner (more anatomic). I played with the scale and went with a 96% but this was probably not necessary. You might be able to see the difference as the King Haakon figure has not been reduced.

3D Print on left, EWM on right

I went with the same colour scheme as the EWM and am quite happy with the result. Although I have some reluctance, because of the concern of durability with resin wargaming figures, I will go on with these figures for my Norwegian platoon.

4 comments:

  1. I am not keen on 3D printed resin figures because of durability as well. I still much prefer metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a bit of a challenge but there are some tricks

      Delete
  2. Lovely job John. I am not familiar with 3D resin, is it fine things such things as rifles etc that are vulnerable to breaking or is there a bigger risk, such as ankle snap etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are but as mentioned you can decrease the UV light time so they are still flexible. There are also specific resins you can use that are much more resitant to breakage.

      Delete