22 September 2022

Pulp Alley

Last Sunday night, I went to Luis's for a game of Pulp Alley. This was my second game, but the first was a virtual game with P-Y so I was looking forward to pushing about the figures myself. It was also the first game that I had a chance to get some of the multiple figures on the table which have never seen action.

I am not sure of the actual scenario we played but as you can see the game was set in the sands of Egypt. Luis's terrain is really quite amazing and the gaming aids he has were really well done. I am not 100% sure what league Luis was using, but there were a lot of women and one automaton, his leader was from a French Graphic novel. He also introduced horror into the game which was a lot of fun.

I put together a Baker Street League but also added Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for a bit of fun as I wanted to see how a shapeshifter worked. 
Holmes
Dr Watson
Inspector Lestrade
Hell Division
Dr Jekyll
Mr Hyde

I am sure a lot of you will recognise these figures from the Empire of the Dead collection from Westwind. They are great figures and I have quite a few more which I can use for Pulp Alley. I have a lot of the Villains from the Victorian Age, as well as a nice collection of Tong leaders and gang members. Here is my league sheet.
I took Long Range as my perk, so it is a 10 point league.

So we set up the game and off we went.
The table with 5 plot points, the major plot point was in the middle . The left side is west. You had to capture one plot point before you could go for the major plot point. I started in the lower right corner while Luis started in the upper left corner. On each turn a creature spawned on one of mid points on one of the edges. These all had  a horror characteristic.
Turn 1/2. I was the director.  Image from the south. I moved Dr Jekyll to the middle and shapeshifter into Mr Hyde, there was a creature guarding the major plot point, so I thought this would be a good distraction. I moved the Hell Division Gang to the centre, while I got Holmes who was hidden to get into position for the centre while I got Watson to take the first plot point. He failed! Not a good start. It was especially made bad as I had used Lestrade initially to try to take this plot point, I learned this was a big mistake as he was an ally and really had no ability to pass challenges....he died!
Looking from the west, same turn.
Looking from the east. You can see that Luis has moved two of his characters into the centre of the table where the major plot point is. He has also moved the automaton towards the right upper plot point. Mr Hyde has engaged the creature, in the centre. Watson is still wasting his time with the plot point in lower right of the table, but now has to think about it as a creature has spawned. Luis has 2 of his charters including is leader at the top of the photo, out of sight. I moved Hell Division up my left to the west.
Not much happening here, but Luis has moved another of his characters towards the plot point with the automaton standing guard.
Turns 4/5; lots of action here. One of Luis's characters was able to take the major plot point after his other character took the minor plot point. Mr Hyde however was able to kill the creature with the help of Watson and then were able to move onto the middle of the table, Hell Division was able to move up in support. Luis's character was wounded by Hyde and dropped the Plot point. Hyde picked it up.
Turn 6; a Baker Street Victory

I really had a great time with this game and it was nice to win. I might need too make some adjustments to my Character's Abilities, but I thought they over all worked well. I will definitely use them again. I should also say that Luis made some excellent tacos, I will look forward to my next game of Pulp Alley.

2 comments:

  1. I have often been tempted by Pulp Alley and this seems like an action filled game! However, the real stand out here is that evocative table, straight out of a movie set!

    ReplyDelete