08 December 2012

Moria Goblins and they have a Cave Troll!!

This is the first post in a planned series to exhibit my son Simon's LotR collection. I would think that he probably painted these figures half way through his 3 year figure painting stint. I have taken the figures and have redone the bases in an attempt to unify the figures. I have also obtained some War of the Ring movement trays and have terrained them in order to more carefully display the figures. As you can see we have 3 missing slots. I am really having to control myself in not ordering any figures in order to fill these trays. Gamesworkshop figures are not only incredibly expensive approaching $5 each in some cases even for the grunts, but I really do not want to take on any extra painting tasks. This is quite difficult for me as I am a completist and seeing those empty slots will probably drive me crazy. Additionally, I am much more likely to play the LotR SBG rather than the WoR ruleset in the future, so  no need for complete trays....keep saying that to yourself.

I believe Simon was quite proud of his Cave Troll, he was just starting to learn to use washes.
He also really liked the job he did on the Goblin drummers, especially the drum itself. I went with an underground rock motif for the bases and trays.
A unit of Goblin bowmen. So I believe the figures have come from the plastic Moria Goblins set (24 figures); the Moria Cave Troll; the Moria Goblin Drum, the Moria Goblin Shaman and the Moria Armoured Goblin Warriors metal sets. Seems like there is 3 missing plastic goblins.
Yes those empty slots are going to drive me crazy! 

(76486)

7 comments:

  1. Good stuff! If you have some spare 25mm bases just model them up with matching gravel and/or plop the odd rock or discarded shield on them and mix them in on the various movement trays.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea from both of you, I have many extra bases so a great idea.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son did a really nice job. I can only agree with the above. And I am more and more thinking about bending this idea into something not only aesthetic but also of use in game, like rewards, special abilities, loots... So on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simon did a brilliant job on that Cave Troll! The skin looks marvellous.

    Yes, terrain and battlefield flotsam will fill in those sockets quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good work indeed!

    As for those empty slots... take a look at my filler bases for dark ages units.

    http://thewargamestable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/dark-ages-movement-tray-fillers.html

    Cheers

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. We stumbled over here from a different web
    page and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so i
    am just following you. Look forward to checking out your web page again.
    My homepage :: scottrade inc.

    ReplyDelete