24 October 2009

Peninsular War: French Army of Portugal: 6th Corps, Cavalry Brigade, May 1811

Time to post again. I have been industriously working on the 6th Corps, but needed a break from the blue infantryman. I felt some cavalrymen would be nice, so decided to do the cavalry brigade attached to the corps. This was a pretty small brigade with just 8 squadrons of troopers. I wanted to put in all figure types, but had to leave out the musicians as I would have had no troopers! So each 4 figure group has an officer, standard bearer, elite and trooper. When I paint the next unit, I will leave out the officer.

Brigadier-General Auguste Étienne Marie Lamotte was the officer in charge of the brigade, I can find little about him. He started off with the 4e Dragoons, but here he is in a nice Hussar uniform. All the figures are Front Rank, I did the Lamotte figure about 16 months ago and my technique has really progressed. I really enjoy using washes over a white primer.
3e Hussars (170 hommes)

15e Chasseurs à cheval (170 hommes)

Anyway, time to get back to the blue, 25e légère. À la prochaine.

(8584)

8 comments:

  1. They look superb! I've only ever used black undercoat but I think the effect you have achieved is excellent. Is it a difficult technique to master?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it infinitely easier then a black undercoat, you need to let the washes do their work. I seldom have to add a highlight.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I love the 3me Hussars with ots grey uniforms... and the trumpet with the red pelisse...
    However I believe that they wore white lace?
    See
    http://www.napoleon-series.org/images/military/organization/France/Cavalry/Hussars/TimReese/3rdhussarsa.JPG
    for a good ischeme
    Regards
    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are always conflicts and how often do you get to paint red lace!! My references were:

    www.cueto.byethost3.com/index.php?start=8

    www.napoleonguide.com/cavalry_frcolhus.htm

    www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/French_Cavalry.html#frenchhussars

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John
    Actually, red lace over grey dolman and pelisse looks better and nicer!
    Regards
    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rafa,

    I just could not resist the red lace once I say it in Cueto's illustration, I wish my figures had the tall plume.

    Personal regards,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice brushwork. I really like the work on the horses - some of the nicest ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Der Alte Fritz,

    The horses are very easily done, prime white then 1 coat of GW Sepia or Black on the horse's body with 3 coats on the mane and tail.

    Then paint the leather, metal and eyes and you are done.

    John

    ReplyDelete