02 August 2015

CoC: Closing the Falaise Gap, The Road to St Lambert

I had my first game of CoC in quite some time yesterday. This was a test for a game I am presenting at the Hobby Bunker/Boston Trained Band Games Day on August 29th. Mike kindly travelled down from NH to help me test the scenario.

I used the first scenario from an excellent privately published campaign booklet Crossroads: Closing the Gap. I recommend this campaign without reservation. Click on the link and you will see a full description of the campaign.
In this scenario the Canadians have 8 supports and the Germans 4. The choices are quite limited by the campaign. Mike elected to be the attacker, he chose a 3" mortar, a 2" mortar. I am not sure what his other 2 points were. As the defender I picked a sniper and entrenchments for 1 team. The Germans started with a morale of 8 and the Canadians a morale of 9. The Canadian base line is to the left and the Germans to the right. The red circles are where the Canadian JOP's ended and the blue are where the Germans ended up. The objective was for the Canadians to get within 12 " of the German edge.

The terrain was fairly open with plenty of hedges, walls and buildings. The hedges and walls were all soft cover and medium obstacles. The building were all hard cover. 


So here we have the game underway. I placed my first squad behind the hedge and then advanced them into the open. A little chancy, but the hedges blocked LOS until you were within 2" of them and the Canadian JOP on my left flank was well back with two intervening hedges.
The Canadian section however were able to advance fairly quickly. Each unit is still out of LOS, which is slightly different then described in the rule book but correct according to the campaign. I think this will work well for a participation game. I also had placed my sniper in the building to the top left of the photo. This was quite successful initially but I forgot he was there after a while to my subsequent detriment.  The Canadians continued their advance to the leading hedge and started to shoot at the squad in the open. I took shock but in my next phase a double 6 came up and I had a CoC dice so  I was able to subsequently ambush this section with an LMG team as well as fire with the squad. 23 d6 made short work of this Canadian section and I was then able to advance this squad to my right flank and start to make their way down the road. The LMG team was kept on the table and drew back behind the building to cover my centre and right flank as now there was no real threat to my left.
A second Canadian section is skulking behind the building while the 3rd section was in the church. Mike was able to use the buildings to his advantage. You can not see them but to the right is the German squad that just took out the Canadian section in the road covering the intersection. This covered this approach quite well.
I was able to protect my right flank with a squad in entrenchments, they were kept on overwatch. The Canadians certainly stayed away from that edge, but subsequently made their way through the gap in the 2 buildings. I also popped my remaining rifle team to their rear to act a back up to this squad.
We can see this action here. By now the Canadians have got all their supports out and are bombarding the centre with both heavy mortars and smoke. They were essentially able to immobilize the squad in the road causing them to be pinned and lose LOS. This allowed the Canadian section in the church to advance to my front with their third section while the second section who had been in the road made their way around the building and started to fire. This well entrenched German squad was now taking fire from two Canadian sections and were starting to take attrition despite being in hard cover. A double 6 came up for the Canadians, they were able to fire yet again without retort and then sent in one of their sections to assault the German squad and despite having a slight advantage in d6, the Germans lost all 5 remaining men with their JL and while the Canadians lost 4 as well as their JL. The Canadians were down to a Morale of 5 while the Germans were still at 6.

My troops in the centre and in reserve were still pinned by the barrage, I was able to end it but on the next turn Mike again got double 6's and was able to quickly restart the barrage and again hit right on target without an aiming shot.. My SL, the sniper, a full squad as well as an LMG team were all again caught in the barrage with just one German rifle team free.  The attrition started to pile up with the continued barrage so we decided to call it quits with a marginal Canadian victory being declared. I had no CoC Dice pips and it was going to a grind.
I must say it was quite an enjoyable game, and I think if I had not forgot about my sniper, I could of probably taken out the Canadian FO and won. I think it will be a good participation game and am looking forward to it. Mike suggested that I not have the 3" Mortar as an option of support but I will have to think about this.

12 comments:

  1. Mortars decide a game yet again urgh. Nice looking gamer tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is OK, I will figure out how to take the FO out in the future.

      John

      Delete
  2. How did you manage to entrench a section when you only had entrenchments for 1 team as support?

    It felt like both sides may have brought their troops on quicker than necessary. I'm a little surpised that neither side made any use of scouts, especially the attacker as a way to force the defenders to deploy before the attacking force was commited.

    If you need more opponents for CoC, I can probably make it into the Hobby Bunker to do so.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sharp eyes you have! it was an error. I miscounted and gave myself an extra support by mistake. I really have never used scouts, but that is how you learn the game of course.

      Would love to have you come to the Bunker for a game can you make it August 29?

      John

      Delete
  3. Great looking game - I suspect it will be very successful at your upcoming event

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miles, I have never run a game before, I am hoping it will go well.

      John

      Delete
  4. Hey John , the games looking great as always ! We need to get a game of CoC together ASAP ! Also keep a look out on my blog either tonight or tomorrow morning for my write up of istoricon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the report. Se you the end of he month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking table there John, looks awesome. Glad the mission played out well.

    Good luck running your participation game!

    ReplyDelete